AOTrauma Course—Basic Principles of Fracture Management for Swiss Surgeons
December 8-11, 2019
Michael Dietrich, Zurich (CH)
Alex Schallenberger, Interlaken (CH)
The AOTrauma Course—Basic Principles of Fracture Management for Swiss Surgeons is designed to provide the participants with basic treatment principles in operative management of the most common fractures based on the application of AO Principles.
This AOTrauma Course—Basic Principles of Fracture Management for Swiss Surgeons targets doctors in the first to third year of their surgical training but is also open to those who are interested in furthering their knowledge and skills in operative fracture care.
Language format of the course:
The formal lecture in the main auditorium will be in English. All small group discussions and practical exercises and case presentations will be either in German, French or Italian depending on each participant's preference: Faculty will be split accordingly. Each participant will be asked during registration which language they will feel most comfortable in for the small discussion groups, case presentation and practical exercises. While registering (Step 3), you may enter your language preference in the participant comment box.
At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Discuss the concepts of stability, their influence on bone healing, and how to apply implants to achieve appropriate stability
- Read and analyze the x-ray of a fracture properly and apply the AO/OTA Fracture and Dislocation Classification
- Plan a treatment based on assessment, imaging, classification, and decision-making
- Outline and use the AO principles in the treatment of diaphyseal and simple articular fractures
- Apply the knowledge of soft-tissue injury in making appropriate decisions regarding treatment options and timing
- Identify and discuss the special problems related to:
- Fractures in the immature skeleton
- Pelvic injuries
- Osteoporotic fractures
- Postoperative infection
- Delayed union and/or nonunion
This course is based on a specific framework of competencies and learning outcomes.
Participants will learn the basic AO Principles of fracture management and will be taught in the techniques for managing common fractures. Each module consists of a number of evidence-based lectures which cover the recommended principle concepts. In practical exercises participants will gain experience applying of these techniques. Small group discussions expand and reinforce these concepts emphasizing indications, options, applications, and developing a valid decision-making process.
Please find the course program on the upper right side of the page.
Pricing, payment options and information
Credit card payments are preferred.
Cancellation will be charged as follows:
50% up to 30 days before the event. No refund thereafter.
Participants should make sure they have cancellation insurance.
If you cannot pay via credit card you can request an invoice. Please note that we will charge you a CHF 30 handling fee in addition to the participant fee. Please therefore contact us and indicate the official invoice address of the paying person or entity as well as a respective email address the invoice has to be sent to.
- Course bag
- Welcome cocktail / course reception
- Course material
- Coffee breaks
- Business center at course venue